If you are listing your South Lake Tahoe real estate during the holiday season, you may be wondering how this impacts your ability to decorate, stage and celebrate. As we all know, the main goal when preparing a home for sale in South Lake Tahoe is to keep things neutral so buyers get the full picture of what the home has to offer. This includes deep cleaning, decluttering, packing up unused items, tossing out, donating and moving furniture in a way that makes a room feel spacious while also flowing with ease. Depending on what level you like to decorate (Are you a Clark Griswold or a Grinch?), you may need to scale back. Your South Lake Tahoe realtor will be the best person to advise on how to prepare for listing South Lake Tahoe homes for sale during the holidays. Check out these helpful tips to get you started.
- Bigger isn’t always better in the world of holiday decorations. At least not when your South Lake Tahoe real estate is listed. When you are listing homes for sale in South Lake Tahoe, you want to show off all the space the home has, whether it is an expansive mountain lodge or a cozy little cabin. That massive tree or large life-sized singing Santa can take up some good size room. Room potential buyers may not know they could have if they buy your property. By all means, be festive, but also remember not to take away too much from the actual house itself, and what it has to offer.
- Let in light. Which means, don’t obstruct the natural light by using the windows as a prime piece of décor real estate. From the large NOEL letters on the window seal to the large Christmas tree blocking the large living room window facing the street, we tend to put our holiday décor on display for the whole neighborhood to see. Consider moving some of these items to the fireplace mantel, the dark corner (it’s a win win with extra light!) or a blank wall that could use a little detail or design. While sharing your seasonal spirit is great and it is super pretty to look at, allowing the windows to let in as much light as possible is a great way to make a space look larger. As well as show off all that natural light.
- You don’t HAVE to do greens and reds. It is important when you are selling your South Lake Tahoe real estate to coordinate with the existing colors of the room. If your holiday décor clashes, consider packing them up for the new house and doing something a bit different. Skip the multi colored lights and go with the white, peaceful lights. Consider neutrals like white, cream, silver, gold or copper as your color palette. It may not be the typical holiday colors but it will look elegant, clean and not distract from the house itself. Remember, when buyers tour South Lake Tahoe homes for sale, you don’t want to take away from the house as they have their own furniture and décor to fill the home with.
- Flashing lights, loud sounds and movements on a timer and the same holiday music on a loop is not only kind of annoying, but also super distracting. If it is part of your tradition, just make sure to keep them off. The goal when buyers tour South Lake Tahoe homes for sale is to keep them there as long as possible. If there is a bunch of décor commotion happening, they may not stay long.
- Have some beautiful architectural features that make your home for sale in South Lake Tahoe unique? Show them off in a tasteful way. Whether it is a hand carved wood staircase railing, a floor to ceiling fireplace or an arched entryway, bring attention to those aspects, but don’t go overboard. If there is too much going on, buyers may not even notice them.
Chat with your South Lake Tahoe realtor about how you can create a warm, cozy feeling in your home for sale in South Lake Tahoe. An experienced South Lake Tahoe realtor will have some great ideas on how to strike the right balance between incorporating some of your favorite traditions while still attracting potential buyers. Have more questions on South Lake Tahoe real estate? Feel free to give me a call!